|Requisition ID 805
The Eastern and Southern African Trade and Development Bank, previously known as the PTA Bank and now rebranded and trading as Trade Development Bank (TDB), is a specialized African multilateral financial institution serving public and private sector clients in most of the Eastern and Southern African States. TDB’s objective is to provide short, medium, and long-term financing to viable trade, projects and infrastructure transactions in its member states.
TDB aims to attract and retain exceptionally talented professionals by offering a conducive working environment and attractive salaries and benefits. In line with its growth strategy, TDB is looking for self-motivated and results oriented professionals to join a team committed to building a world class financial institution aimed at promoting trade, economic development, and regional integration. Interested and qualified candidates who are nationals of TDB’s member states are therefore invited to apply for the subject position, based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Reporting to the Head, Compliance or designate, this position is responsible for conducting compliance and due diligence checks in line with TDB’s Compliance Policies, Procedures, Manuals and Standards.
The Compliance Officer performs the following duties:
1. The Compliance Officer performs compliance checks on business transactions, and services relating to due diligence, Know Your Customer (KYC) checks, and Anti Money Laundering (AML), Countering the Financing of Terrorism (CFT) and Sanctions checks .
2. Carry out KYC checks and reviews on TDB’s counterparties, services providers, employees, directors and such other persons / entities the TDB Group maybe engaged with.
3. Review and monitor internal practices and procedures to ensure compliance with TDB group requirements and current policies.
4. Liaise with internal business departments to ensure sound understanding of compliance requirements and governance issues and advise on emerging compliance issues and trends.
5. Conduct KYC assessments and ensure that processes and systems meet the company / customer policy and regulatory requirements.
6. Review, coordinate and provide advice, analysis and approvals for KYC files escalated to Compliance.
7. Keep updated on group policies and development in KYC, AML/CFT, sanctions, embargoes and related AML laws and regulations and ensure that policies and procedures are correspondingly kept updated.
8. Participate in KYC/AML/CFT/Sanctions related projects as required, including but not limited to implementation of new/enhanced systems and tools.
9. Respond to queries from external parties and other TDB stakeholders on due diligence checks on the Bank.
10. Carry out documentation checks leading to financial close of transactions.
11. Review documents in respect of loan disbursements, interest payments and loan repayments.
12. Conduct such other responsibilities as the Head of Compliance and / or TDB may require from time to time.
1. A Master’s degree in Risk Management, Law, Economics, Business Administration or related field with relevant professional qualifications as added advantage.
2. A minimum of 5-8 years of professional experience and proven track record in a Commercial / Development Banking or Financial institution environment with sound knowledge of Structured Trade and Commodity Finance Products;
3. Robust knowledge of the regulatory environment in the Bank’s operating region as it relates to Compliance and Credit Risk Management with excellent knowledge of professional and industry standards.
4. Possess extensive research skills to aid in establishing and/or validating required information and documentation.
5. Ideally be familiar with use of KYC screening tools.
6. Proactive and alert to AML / CFT/ sanctions risks.
7. Results oriented individual with excellent written and communication skills with proven ability to rapidly produce quality reports and ability to work in a multicultural setting.
8. Proven organizational, problem solving and decision-making skills with the ability to build partnerships, work in multinational teams, deliver results and management client relationships;
9. Proficiency in the use of computer programs including MS Office applications;
10. Fluency in English is a requirement. Knowledge of TDB’s other working languages (French or Portuguese) would be an added advantage.
Interested and qualified candidates should express their interest by submitting their applications by June 6 2023 through TDB Career Website.
Applications should include a resume, academic and professional certificates, full contact address and the names and addresses of three referees.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted further. TDB is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.