|Location: PL3 (AHWS 2, RDGS); PL4 (RDGE)
Position Grade: PL3, PL4
Position Number: 50066207/50070805
Posting Date: 25-May-2023
Closing Date: 24-Jun-2023
Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier multi-lateral development finance institution fostering economic growth and social progress in Africa. The AfDB’s primary goal is to reduce poverty and improve living standards by mobilising resources in and outside Africa and providing financial and technical assistance for development projects and programs in Africa.
The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs and activities. The RDVP ensures that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Members Countries (RMCs) and oversees the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates. The Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex (AHVP) leads in implementing two of the five goals, namely “Feed Africa” and “Improve the Quality of Life for Africans”. The Complex comprises five departments: (i) Agriculture and Agro-Industry Development; (ii) Agriculture Finance and Rural Development; (iii) Gender, Women and Civil Society; (iv) Water Development and Sanitation; and, (v) Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
Within RDVP, the Bank has five (5) Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North (RDGN), South (RDGS), East (RDGE), West (RDGW), Central (RDGC and the Nigeria Country Department (RDNG)). Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General and is staffed with sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for delivery of services to client countries. The Regional Directorates provide strategic direction to country offices and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s”. The High 5s are to: Light up and Power Africa; Feed Africa; Industrialize Africa; Integrate Africa; and Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa. These focus areas are key in transforming the lives of the African people and consistent with the United Nations agenda on Sustainable Development Goals.
The Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex: (1) contributes to development of country and regional strategies and building sector knowledge; and (2) focuses on programme origination and delivery for approval of operations. The Water Development and Sanitation Department coordinates the Bank’s water development and sanitation-related activities to as a contribution to the High 5s.
The Water Sector divisions (AHWS1, 2 &3) work in tandem with the African Water Facility (AWF) to provide the Bank thought leadership for water development and sanitation in Africa. The divisions play a lead role in supporting Africa to attain water security through the provision of technical expertise, generation and dissemination of pertinent sector knowledge and fostering strategic partnerships. Specifically, the sector divisions provide guidance in the following thematic areas, among others: (i) Integrated & Transboundary Water Resources Development and Management for Water Security; (ii) Water Supply for All; (iii) Sanitation for All; and, (iv) Water Sector Governance; as well as the cross-cutting areas including gender, climate change, private sector engagement and fragility.
The position of water and sanitation officer (PL3, PL4) has the following objectives:
1. Contributing to the development and attainment of the regional water security, sanitation and hygiene agenda and related objectives of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including attaining water and sanitation for all and thereby contribute to the improvement of quality of life of the people in Africa.
2. Development of knowledge and provide technical/investment guidance, expertise and strategic direction on sustainable and affordable water and sanitation service delivery models/technologies, best international practices, sector strategies and policies for both urban and rural areas.
3. Contribute to the Bank’s integrated water resources management and development programs, considering the increasing demand for water, rising conflict among competing water uses, climate change, fragility, urban development, and other key global trends
4. Consulting with regional and country level stakeholders, and other global partners, and maintaining close collaboration with regional hubs, country offices and other water related complexes in the Bank
5. Portfolio development and management in line with the Bank's policy by identifying projects and consulting with governments, various stakeholders and other Technical and Financial Partners (TFPs).
Under the supervision of the respective sector manager, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
Policies and Strategies, and Business Plans
1. Contribute to the development of the Bank Group Water and Sanitation Sector policy and provide technical advice/guidance to introduce and monitor the implementation of the policy.
2. Lead the review, preparation and update of Bank’s business plans and guidelines related to water and sanitation sector, and contribute to other Bank’s business and strategies from water resources management, water supply and sanitation perspectives
3. Lead the contribution of the division for review, updating or preparation of national water and sanitation policies, strategies, institutional sector reforms and investment plans towards the achievement of national development goals and the SDGs
4. Provide technical advice/assistance to RMCs to develop their Water Resource Management mechanisms and tool towards ensuring a water secure environment
5. Lead the review process of project proposals prepared by Bank’s clients and provide guidance on Bank’s water policy and strategy and its operational priorities
6. Participate in promoting or strengthening PPP in the water sector
Business Development, Lending and Portfolio Management
1. Lead or participate in Bank’s missions for business development, collect, examine and analyse needs and requirements of clients for potential pipeline programs or projects in the sector
2. Lead or participate in missions for project or program identification/origination, preparation and appraisal, and their eventual processing for approval
3. Develop project proposals for private sector, climate, and concessional finance
4. Collaborate with the legal and other departments in preparation of loan agreements, organize and participate in negotiation and follow-up of agreement signatures
5. Supervise portfolio projects in accordance with Bank rules and procedures. Coordinate inputs of other Bank experts for effective and efficient portfolio management and administration and support to clients
6. Lead the contribution of the sector in portfolio performance reviews pertaining to the experience in the water and sanitation sector
7. Promote and contribute towards the integration of inclusive and green growth in the sector operations addressing issues of gender, climate change and fragility
8. Lead or participate in project reviews and preparation of project completion reports
9. Participate in country sector reviews and joint water donor working groups with other multilateral and bilateral institutions for a robust lending program and implementation of the Bank’s operations
10. Perform project completion missions with a view to preparing project completion reports
11. Support the sector manager in monitoring water sector program target indicators
Analytic Work and Knowledge Management
1. Undertake analytical work to generate and disseminate knowledge products on water and sanitation, water resources management and institutional development to inform the pipeline of projects
2. Provide technical guidance and backstopping support in the preparation of country and/or sector studies to promote inclusive, sustainable and affordable water and sanitation services at country level
3. Lead the preparations of water sector diagnostic notes for the preparation of Country Strategy Papers and/or their mid-term reviews, and contribute to the programming at country or regional level
4. Contribute technical inputs to the community of practice on water supply and sanitation to facilitate knowledge exchange within the Bank and to harmonize service standards across the regional hubs
5. Contribute to capacity development programs for staff and RMCs related to water and sanitation.
Coordination, Collaboration and Strategic Partnerships
1. Represent the Bank in meetings and events related to the water sector internally and externally.
2. Contribute to the Bank’s collaborations with key external stakeholders, regional bodies and development partners in advancing Africa’s water security
3. Identify co-financing needs of the water sector programmes and make funding proposals
4. Contribute and participate in sector coordination mechanisms at country or regional level
5. Contribute water sector input in the regional and country programming and work plans
6. Contribute to the sector department’s responsibility for the coordination of water and sanitation related interventions across complexes
7. Participate in or coordinate the preparation of internal reports and documents and provide expert advice and help working groups to improve the quality of Bank reports in-house and outside the division
8. Provide guidance and mentorship to junior experts in relation to the Bank's policy and procedures in general and on the methodology of project design and portfolio management activities
|COMPETENCIES (skills, experience and knowledge):
1. A master’s degree in civil engineering, water resources engineering, finance and investment or related field with a focus on climate resilient water sector programming
2. Have a minimum of seven (7) years for PL3; six (6) years for PL4 of post-qualification experience in the water and sanitation sector.
3. A good understanding of water supply, sanitation and water resources issues, trends, challenges and opportunities in Africa. In-depth knowledge of integrated water resource management, and governance modalities. Ability to identify and articulate policy and strategic issues and to provide sound advice.
4. Knowledge of investment planning, water sector infrastructure project preparation climate resilience, structuring of informal sanitation value chains, financing mechanisms for capital and O&M costs of water facilities, private sector mobilization, Public-Private Partnerships preparation
5. Demonstrated experience in delivering high quality complex lending operations, operational products and services (analyses, research advice, sectoral studies and review) in water and sanitation.
6. Experience with International Development Institutions in developing countries including a satisfactory knowledge of their operational policies and procedures.
7. Proven ability in delivering high quality operational products and advisory services
8. Demonstrated ability to think strategically, synthesize complex issues and communicate them effectively orally and in written briefs.
9. Ability to deal with sensitive issues in multi-cultural environments and to build effective relations
10. Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
11. Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG(link sends e-mail)
Apply for this position
1- Regular Staff
If you are currently working at the African Development Bank as a regular staff, click on the button below to apply for this position.
2- External Candidate
If you are not currently working at the African Development Bank, or if you are a Short Term Staff (STS), a Technical Assistant or a Consultant at the Bank, click on the button below to apply for the position.
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for further assessment will be contacted. Applicants should submit a concise Curriculum Vitae (CV) and any additional documents that may be stated as required. The President of the African Development Bank reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. http://www.afdb.org