Environment Specialist / Senior Environment Specialist - Private Sector [Beijing]
POSTED BY: Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
Date Published:13 July 2023
Date of Expiration:09 January 2024 EXPIRED
RECOMMEND THIS JOB ON FACEBOOK
|LOCATION OF THIS JOB
| China | BEIJING in China
|DEVELOPMENT FINANCE INSTITUTIONS
|MAIN JOB DESCRIPTION
|Ref. Number 23133
Position Environment Specialist / Senior Environment Specialist - Private Sector [Beijing]
Minimum 5-10 years of experience
Department/Division Operational Services Department
Job Type Global Recruitment
Posting Date Jun 27, 2023
Closing Date Sep 11, 2023
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow—infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 106 approved Members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and rated Triple A by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients’ needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
1. The (Senior) Environment Specialist will be responsible for integrating environmental dimensions into the work of the AIIB, recognizing the importance of this issue in the development of sustainable infrastructure.
2. The position involves activities to address the environmental dimensions of policies, programs, projects, technical assistance, and training; and appraise the environmental risks and impacts associated with investment projects against the requirements of AIIB’s Environmental and Social Policy (ESP).
1. Participate in the identification, appraisal, design and implementation of investment programs and projects to evaluate environmental and social sustainability and support clients in carrying out environmental and social assessments.
2. Appraise the environmental risks and impacts associated with investment projects, both Sovereign-backed Financings (SBF) and Nonsovereign-backed Financings (NSBF), including financial intermediaries (FI) projects, against the requirements of AIIB's ESP. More specifically, this responsibility includes:
1) Screening for potential ES risks and impacts and proposing the ES category for the project.
2) Screening for climate change-related risks and impacts and supporting clients in managing those risks and impacts during preparation and implementation of projects.
3) Conducting due diligence assessment of ES aspects of the SBF and NSBF (including FI) projects and undertaking field visits if needed, for assessing the ES feasibility of the project.
4) Guiding the clients on the preparation and implementation of environmental and social impact assessments (ESIAs) and environmental management plans across priority infrastructure sectors such as water, urban, energy and transport as per the requirements of AIIB's ESP.
5) Supporting clients on stakeholder consultations and disclosure of ESIAs and related studies.
6) Monitoring the implementation of the ES aspects of the project and addressing any issues that may arise during project implementation, including any changes in project design or scope.
7) Assisting clients to address any non-compliance with its ES obligations by providing support to develop, recommend, and monitor courses of action or corrective measures required of the client to bring the project back to compliance with the AIIB’s ES Policy.
8) Conducting reviews of a country’s relevant environmental laws and regulations and corporate environmental management systems and institutional capacities to implement, in order to determine their potential for selective partial or full use in AIIB-financed projects.
Knowledge Management and Capacity Building
1. Contribute to AIIB’s knowledge base on environmental and social aspects, particularly related to climate change, biodiversity and ecosystem services, and emerging ESG frameworks.
2. Develop and conduct training on environmental and social sustainability of infrastructure projects and ES aspects and requirements of AIIB's ESP for AIIB staff, consultants and clients.
|REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS JOB
1. Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in environmental or natural science, engineering, planning or related discipline.
2. Minimum 5-8 years (for Specialist, 8-10 years for Senior Specialist) of relevant experience in environmental planning and management either working for, or as a government counterpart or consultant to, a multilateral development bank (MDB), bilateral donor or a private sector organization.
3. Proven application of professional expertise in planning, management and monitoring of the environmental aspects of infrastructure programs and projects, including in sectors such as energy, transport, water and urban development.
4. Demonstrated experience with the planning, preparation and implementation of project-level environmental and social assessments and related types of studies, including environmental and social management plans and frameworks.
5. Effective ability to participate in project development, design, conduct of feasibility studies and consultations with stakeholders; and demonstrated experience in monitoring E&S aspects during implementation.
6. Proven ability to work with public and/or private sector clients and financial intermediaries, and development partners (MDBs, bilateral development organizations and development finance institutions) of AIIB in an effective and professional manner in both formal and informal settings.
7. Experience in working with civil society organizations and nongovernmental organizations.
8. Experience with the development and implementation of environmental strategies, policies, and procedures.
9. Proven ability to carry out complex tasks as part of multi-disciplinary teams, capacity to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines; strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work with project teams, clients and key stakeholders on managing environmental and social risks and impacts.
10. Ability to coach/mentor more junior staff.
11. Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
12. Knowledge of language(s) of a country in which AIIB invests would be an advantage.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency, and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences, and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability, or sexual orientation.
Join in AIIB’s mission to promote sustainable infrastructure investments and to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
* Closing Date: All opportunities close at 11:59 p.m. (GMT+8) on the dates listed.
** Job Type: Recruitment of staff is conducted through a merit-based competitive selection process. AIIB shall strive to provide employment opportunities open to all suitably qualified applicants, regardless of religion, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation or nationality.